Description of Medical ServiceProton Beam Therapy (PBT) is a medical procedure and a type of particle therapy to irradiate diseased tissue, most often in the treatment of cancer. PBT is a form of external beam radiation therapy that uses heavier particles (protons) instead of X-rays (photons), which are used in conventional radiotherapy. PBT may be used as primary treatment or as salvage therapy (in the case of recurrent disease or after failure of initial therapy).
While PBT is often used as monotherapy, it is also used as a ‘boost’ mechanism to conventional radiation therapy, or in combination with other modalities such as chemotherapy and surgery.
Description of Medical ConditionPatients with a diagnosis of one of the following conditions:
* chordoma of the axial skeleton (defined as the skull, vertebral column and bony pelvis);
* sarcoma of the axial skeleton;
* paediatric central nervous system (CNS) tumour;
* ocular melanoma;
* soft tissue sarcoma in close proximity to the axial skeleton (to include rhabdomyosarcoma);
* adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal or salivary glands;
* intracranial germ cell tumour;
* neuroblastoma; and
Reason for ApplicationNew non-MBS item
Medical Service TypeTherapeutic medical service
Previous Application NumberNot Applicable
PICO Confirmation1455 PICO Confirmation (PDF 334 KB)